Rusty Relics at Ringwood Manor:
Spring Tour 2021
Members of the Restored Rusty Relics Antique Automobile Club gathered in Paramus on April 18, the rain date for our Spring Tour. The weather was fine and sunny, if a bit brisk. Official club photographer Gene Yetter took all these photos, except where noted. The tour was routed by George Lewer.
The local Corvette club was already there, down the lot, and a couple of us chatted with them, while a couple of them chatted with us. They went their way and we went ours.
In the minutes before the tour got under way, Gene Yeter got the members together for a rare group shot.
Dave Z took this one shot of the Packard in front of him while safely stopped.
Gene was near the middle of the line, just behind Steve White’s new Charger Daytona. In the next shot, a guy in a Cherokee decided he belonged in the group, and cut in ahead of our treasurer.
Arriving in Oakland; the tour organizer is up front, making a left turn in his Pierce-Arrow.
Our official “caboose” car, driven by Barry Doll, ironically got separated from the rest of the crowd (the goal was to have one car making sure anyone who had car trouble or got lost would have some aid). He ended up leaving last, and arriving first.
George Lewer found the park’s best parking area—and its best picnic area.
The manor house bathrooms were working, which was good, since the ones by this picnic ground were locked.
Leaving the park...
Ringwood produced ironwork from the 1740s into the late 1800s, and features a manor house built in 1807, currently being restored. George Washington appointed the manager of Ringwood ironmaking, Robert Erskine, in 1771, as the first Geographer and Surveyor General of the Continental Army; Erskine produced 275 maps while keeping the ironworks going. Ringwood products during the Revolution included cannon, a large part of the Hudson River Chain (which blocked off the river north of West Point), and various Army provisions; they also produced weapons for the Civil War. Inventor/industrialist Peter Cooper, best known for Cooper Union today, bought the area with his son-in-law in 1854. The area is now a National Historic Landmark District. One coal-fired, bellows-fed forge remains, rebuilt in the 1960s and operated now and then by volunteers.